Gamebook store

Sunday 26 January 2014

Things to come

A couple of works-in-progress from the production juggernaut that is The Way of the Tiger. Above, a detail from Leo Hartas's map of Irsmuncast-Nigh-Edge (the finished piece will be in colour) and below an illustration by Mylène Villeneuve for the third book, Usurper, of a priestess of Time and the ranger, Glaivas.

There are more pictures on Mylène's site and you can follow the schedule of the full-colour hardbacks on Megara's site. The first two paperbacks should be released by Fabled Lands Publishing in early March. There's also an Orb roleplaying game in development.

Over in this other corner, I'm working on the entirely ninja-free Blood Sword - but more of that in due course.

9 comments:

  1. I think the girl is sweet on the ranger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea - as I said, I haven't read the WOTT books. But at a guess I'd say that Glaivas is one of the player-characters from the early Orb games that Mark and Jamie played at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good job from Mylène Villeneuve on that classic illustration. Her portfolio on her website is excellent!

    Leo's map is outstanding, as usual :)

    Paperbacks (probably) in March? I'm OK with this.

    I wish I could be a little boy again to enjoy this gamebook renaissance with the same enthusiasm I had back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it, Efrem, but you're right. What could match that utter enthusiasm we experienced as children? I think I felt a bit of it when I saw the first Iron Man movie, but a mere shadow of the all-consuming interest I took in Iron Man comic books at the age of 10. And I still get stoked when my role-playing group come together for an all-day special. Oh, and watching Breaking Bad. But none of those can quite reach the intensity of childhood passions, alas!

      Delete
    2. Actually I just looked at Bob Harvey's original illustration and that is quite something. The priestess is described as being made up to resemble a doll or a baby, and Bob really nailed the strangeness of that. He's still the master!

      Delete
    3. Blood Sword is the best sword!

      Delete
  4. Hmm... those assassins working for Magus Vyl in The Battlepits of Krarth are kind of ninja-ish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're Marijah sect hashishiyya. Aiken is "Japanese" of course, and as historically legit as any of the ninja schools that have been retconned into existence since the 1960s ;-)

      Delete