Gamebook store

Friday 30 October 2020

Time for a new deal


Well, it's that election. The one that affects everybody in the world -- especially in the Western world. I'm not going to say anything about it because, after all, what's left to say? And in any case, like most of the people whose lives will be changed by the result, I don't get a vote. So I'll pass the mic to US citizen and onetime conservative H P Lovecraft, writing here to Catherine L Moore in 1936. It gives a hint of how HPL's experiences towards the end of his life changed his political views from the reactionary periwigged libertarianism usually associated with him. There's hope for us all, however deplorable.


3 comments:

  1. I have that exact edition of Jirel! Any ideas where one might legitimately acquire the vintage Weird Tales with all the greats’ stories in them? Electronic is fine - don’t need to pay US$175+ for originals!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They knew how to do good fantasy covers in those days. Regarding old copies of WT -- it was my dream as a teenager to own a complete set, but I had to make do with the two or three British reprint issues I was able to afford. But now, thanks to the magic of the internet, that collection is at least partly available to all. I have these three links:

      https://www.pulpmags.org/content/view/issues/weird-tales.html

      https://www.sffaudio.com/public-domain-pdf-page/

      http://www.openculture.com/2016/06/download-issues-of-the-pioneering-pulp-horror-fantasy-magazine-weird-tales.html

      If anyone knows where we can find other issues, my teenage self would be very grateful.

      Delete