Gamebook store

Thursday 21 July 2022

After the war is over


I acquired a few imaginary friends in lockdown. Regularly accompanying me on long rural walks are Melvyn Bragg, Tim Harford, Sam Harris, Ralph Lovegrove, Michael Shermer, Tom Holland, and many others, some of whom also happen to be friends in non-imaginary space. One of the biggest highlights of the month is a stroll with Michael Cule and Roger Bell-West, who always seem to be stepping through into my head from the garden of an ivy-clad Buckinghamshire cottage where bees drone in the flowerbeds and there’s the distant thwack and thump of tennis balls. (Don’t disillusion me, chaps.)

Lately a new feature has been added to Improvised Radio Theatre. In “A Gameable Age” Mike and Roger take a deep dive into a historical period that’s ripe for roleplaying. As a culture gamer that sort of thing is right up my street, or winding country lane rather. And it was particularly interesting that they launched this segment with discussions of the English Civil War and the Restoration, because a few years ago I had a notion to set a Legend campaign in a setting not unadjacent to that period.

My idea was to have the characters in Ellesland, but a version of Ellesland resembling our 17th century. Twenty years earlier, in their youth, they had been involved in a bitter civil war that still left scars on society. The players were separately asked which side they had supported, the revolutionaries or the crown. After an interregnum the king had been restored and now we were in a period of reconciliation – in theory.

The point of the game being to play tricks with memory, I envisaged the civil war years as more like the early medieval world of traditional Legend as seen in Dragon Warriors. If a character turned their mind to how twenty years had wrought such changes in society and technology (no sign of pistols or muskets back in the civil war, for example) they’d find the details hazy. Something more earth-shattering than victory or defeat had happened – because, after all, the loss of your twenty-year-old self is an apocalypse. That’s how I intended to characterize the Doomsday of the year 1000 that is supposed to bring an end to Legend.


I realize now that this is a case of parallel development with Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Buried Giant, which I have variously praised, cavilled about, and neutrally assessed. In a world where magic is real and Parliament is now the seat of sovereignty, an Act of Oblivion has the force of physical law. Such supernaturally induced amnesia allows the characters to forget old vendettas and live in peace. (Hmm, in hindsight, instead of using the idea for a roleplaying campaign, maybe I should’ve written it up as a novel.) If you want to read about it in detail you’ll need to sign up for my Patreon page, but this post gives you the gist of it.


Having got back to thinking about that campaign idea after all these years, I now wonder why I glossed over the Interregnum – surely an interesting period of uncertainty and change. My only excuse is that Mike and Roger skipped it too, but I see that Melvyn Bragg has taken up that particular baton in a recent In Our Time which deals with the kings-&-dates stuff, and for the social history that interests me here's Anna Keay. Between them, my imaginary friends are fully as accommodating as Treesong’s paladins in Jack Vance’s The Book of Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. I've recently being looking into the Civil War period for similar reasons myself and would recommend Dianne Purkiss' The English Civil War (2006) - its full of eye witness accounts and so much game-able detail, I've found it hugely inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. I've added an Amazon tab for it above and will be ordering a copy myself.

      Delete
  2. I have loved MC & RBW's recent historical excursions; highly agreeable, entertaining and edifying. Dan Carlin in his Hardcore History podcast does history-tale telling in an uber-American way, whilst Roger & Michael do it in an uber-English way, and both are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly resistant to most American-style podcasts (noise! contrived drama! shoutiness!) but I do think This American Life is one of the best, so obviously I need to try Hardcore History and see how it takes me. What do you think of Messrs Holland and Sandbrook on The Rest is History, John?

      Delete
    2. Dan Carlin is a passionate, camp-fire shaman conjuring us into the visceral experience of other times and places; his series on WWI "Blueprint for Armageddon" is excellent. I must confess that I haven't tried "The Rest is History" yet, but have downloaded it tonight. Wish they didn't release episodes so often though - almost daily? - as I will find it hard to keep my head above that rising tide of podcasts. I think I prefer Improvised Radio Theatre's more sedate broadcasting schedule!

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean! An episode a month is a dignified pace for both hosts and listeners.

      Delete
    4. Let's also give a shout-out to the H.P Lovecraft podcast "Voluminous" - an enjoyable and informative Weird precursor to Alistair Cooke's "Letter From America"...

      Delete
    5. Yes indeed, Sean and Andrew are firmly established in my circle of virtual friends.

      Delete
    6. ...as, by extension, are HPL and his own very wide circle of buddies, though in their case they're not only imaginary friends but dead ones too. The Gallomo even made a guest appearance in Vulcanverse book 4.

      Delete
    7. Dead, but also still alive, thanks to the magic of radio!
      I once took a walk with Alistair Cooke when, listening to a random "Letter From America" on my airpods on a visit to New York, I heard AC describing the walk from his apartment to the shops around the block exactly as I was treading those steps myself; and there he was, keeping stride with me though twenty years apart, genial, immediate and engaging - amidst the slightest halo of static.
      I'm just surprised we didn't bump into Lovecraft coming in the opposite direction, no looking where he was going - his body trapped in Manhattan, but his mind, roaming free in Providence, and stranger shores beyond...

      Delete
  3. I think I've said this before, but the Buried Giant is, for me at least, the most "Legend" novel I have ever read - though I would be very happy to hear better suggestions!

    The concept of using magic to enforce a political decision is a fascinating one, and the idea of waking up every morning to discover you can't properly remember the last twenty or thirty years would be fascinating. It puts me in mind of The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, or the Doctor Who episode The Beast Below (which I didn't rate much, but I thought the central conceit was interesting).

    It strikes me that exile also becomes a different matter if people can be sent to other dimensions or places like Jack Vance's "Charm of Forlorn Encystment" (I think? I don't have the books handy) . What if a whole nation or race were exiled in this way?

    If you wanted to clear out an area for colonisation, putting the natives into a timeless limbo might be seen as a "humane" alternative to genocide and enslavement ("They can always have their land back when we've finished with it..."). Even more interesting if that spell is suddenly reversed or fails, and a whole host of people appear wanting their land back.

    Or if the PCs suddenly find themselves some time in the future, with strangers occupying the land they once lived in...

    Anyway, I'm getting away from the interregnum, and I guess amnesia is a different approach since it keeps people in the same place and on potentially friendly terms, despite previous conflict. Still, much food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exile is a whole other (and fascinating) starting point for a campaign, Ray. I remember being captivated at school by the story of Ventidius Varro, supposedly sent into exile "beyond the pillars of Hercules". I don't know if that has any basis in fact or whether it was just dreamt up by H Warner Munn for his King of the World's Edge stories, but it made me an early convert to the story possibilities of exile.

      From a fantasy perspective, could the dead regard themselves as unfairly exiled from the land of the living? Or could criminals in an SF setting be put in stasis-sleep and exiled to a Matrix-like alternate reality? They don't realize they are in cyberspace, so it's the "humane" option -- they think they've been forgiven and returned to society.

      Lots of ideas. We're just scratching the surface.

      I agree with you about The Buried Giant, especially the scene with the imps or goblins clambering into the boat. That's very creepy and very Legend. I think I've probably written more reviews of The Buried Giant than anyone else, too, both here and on the Mirabilis blog. Kazuo's quite a talented fellow, isn't he?

      Delete