Gamebook store

Friday 23 June 2023

Why do roleplaying games need a genre?

“What I really aim at is an absolute realism in the sphere of the ignobly decent. The field, as I understand it, is a new one; I don’t know any writer who has treated ordinary vulgar life with fidelity and seriousness. Zola writes deliberate tragedies; his vilest figures become heroic from the place they fill in a strongly imagined drama. I want to deal with the essentially unheroic, with the day-to-day life of that vast majority of people who are at the mercy of paltry circumstance. Dickens understood the possibility of such work, but his tendency to melodrama on the one hand, and his humour on the other, prevented him from thinking of it. An instance, now. As I came along by Regent’s Park half an hour ago a man and a girl were walking close in front of me, love-making; I passed them slowly and heard a good deal of their talk—it was part of the situation that they should pay no heed to a stranger’s proximity. Now, such a love-scene as that has absolutely never been written down; it was entirely decent, yet vulgar to the nth power. Dickens would have made it ludicrous—a gross injustice. Other men who deal with low-class life would perhaps have preferred idealising it—an absurdity. For my own part, I am going to reproduce it verbatim, without one single impertinent suggestion of any point of view save that of honest reporting.”

That’s Harold Biffen, one of the characters in George Gissing’s novel New Grub Street, expressing his ideal of a style of fiction that asymptotically approaches reality. This seems to echo the thoughts of a rather more successful real-life writer, namely William Wordsworth, who argued (almost a century before Gissing's book) that "the human mind is capable of being excited without the application of gross and violent stimulants" and went on to deplore readers' "craving for extraordinary incident, which the rapid communication of intelligence hourly gratifies." And that was before Twitter.

H P Lovecraft, who endured a hardly easier existence than Harold Biffen’s, expressed a similar idea when he set out a manifesto defying the dominance of genre in science fiction:

“We must select only such characters […] as would naturally be involved in the events to be depicted, and they must behave exactly as real persons would behave if confronted with the given marvels. The tone of the whole thing must be realism, not romance.”

That right there is pretty much what I want my upcoming Jewelspider RPG to be: fantasy, but not of the fantasy genre. Nowadays roleplaying frequently embraces genre, and it’s fashionable for referees to talk about the game in terms of act breaks and inciting incidents. But I’m with Biffen and Lovecraft. Genre means incorporating familiar elements in familiar patterns, which is fine if you prefer fictional narratives to the kind that real life throws out. What I want my roleplaying games to do on the other hand is to evoke “real” settings. What happens there, even if the setting is fantasy, happens as it does in life, not fitting itself to tropes and story formulae, but simply as the result of colliding goals, characters’ actions and reactions, and a bit of pure chance.

This goal came into focus for me the other day while watching Chloé Zhao’s movie Nomadland. Most of the participants really are nomads. You can hear the difference from actors reading lines. When these people talk about their life experiences, their loves, and those they’ve lost, it rings true. As the review on RogerEbert.com put it:

"Filmmakers and artists in general have a tendency to judge their characters. Here’s the good guy, here’s the bad guy. Here’s the problem that needs to be solved for the leading man or lady to be happy by the end of the movie or damned because of their bad behaviour. There’s a much lesser version of the true story of Nomadland […] that does all of this, melodramatizing Fern’s story into one of redemption."

That was the point of a lot of classic early-‘70s movies, to throw away the nursery book of arcs and tropes to find a more truthful way of depicting human drama. For example, listen to this podcast in which Rebecca O’Brien explains what appeals to her about Coppola’s The Conversation and how the movie “sets itself up almost as if it is reality; the story is told without any adornment.”

This might just be one of those ideas whose time has come, because as I was writing this post the SF author and critic Damien Walter published a piece about the need for science fiction to escape genre.

I'm not going to tell you how to run your games. If you want to use Jewelspider for comedy or high fantasy or grimdark takes on Legend, or if you dig good vs evil romps and the panto ethics of alignment, go right ahead. But I have to settle on a tone for how I describe the world of Legend in the rulebook, and an ethic that will inform the scenarios I’m writing for it, and my Dogme 95 is to not to assume any genre or even a sense of a storyteller. The setting is the medieval world as people at the time imagined it to be. There is no agency that will intervene to ensure you have a satisfying arc. Stuff will happen, fair and unfair. In my gaming philosophy that’s how to get a really immersive experience. By stepping away from conscious storytelling and throwing off the shackles of genre, we'll have games that give us "the freedom and space to hear things".

16 comments:

  1. Have you written a Vow of Chastity for Jewelspider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There could be a whole chapter on that. Priests of the True Faith are supposed to remain celibate, but you will find the unofficial position of "vicar's wife" in some rural areas, and even Popes have been known to have mistresses.

      Delete
  2. "fantasy, but not of the fantasy genre" - say Susanna Clarke and Karen Maitland vs. Robert Jordan and J.K. Rowling? Where do you find a fantasy version of Nomadland? I know, so many questions, but I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to say here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also Calvino, Michel Tournier, Russell Hoban, Nabokov -- a lot of fantasy in literature doesn't come packed with genre tropes. When you mention a fantasy version of Nomadland my mind leaps to Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner -- which isn't quite right, but it's a reminder that traditional myths don't have the standard tropes of modern fantasy either.

      Perhaps the nearest to the kind of Legend fantasy I'm talking about is The Seventh Seal. Death is a person, magic is real, but the movie isn't in the fantasy genre.

      Delete
    2. Another example is Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant. He got into trouble (with Ursula K Le Guin, no less) for repudiating the fantasy genre, but although I didn't find his novel entirely successful, I agree with him that it's non-genre fantasy.

      More about it here and here.

      Delete
    3. After hearing about LeGuin's criticism of The Buried Giant I decided not to read it, but then a Swedish writer and reviewer in which I trust had a lot of positive to say about it, and I finally read it. I quite liked it. It reminded me of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain and (I discovered years later) Beagle's The Last Unicorn.

      Delete
    4. In the 70s, when I was getting into all this stuff, I went into my local library (note to younger readers: these were places where you could borrow books. For free!) and told the woman I was looking for books in the fantasy genre. In those days, there was no section and (as luck would have it) the woman I spoke to was a bit baffled by the term. So she went to the shelves and found me the Gormenghast trilogy. Which is another example for you, I think.

      Delete
    5. Yes indeed. How much more interesting a literary landscape we'd have today if Gormenghast had become the paradigm of modern fantasy rather than Lord of the Rings. Not that that could ever have happened in even an infinite number of universes.

      Delete
    6. Indeed! The Gormenghast trilogy has been on my reading list for years (Dave just cannot stop himself mentioning it in every second blog post ;)).

      Delete
    7. It's even worse that that, Joakim. I liked the first Gormenghast book so much that I'm saving the others to read as special treats. (This could lead to disappointment, as many people think the later books aren't as good.)

      Delete
  3. In my old age I wholeheartedly welcome the re-emergence of the old fanzine 'realism vs playability' debate, but in this new version, in which realism just descends like a Terry Gilliam foot, and squashes playability, along with all the other meta stuff like character arcs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of the pro-meta contingent are so pleased with the concept that they assume it's the only sensible way to play, anything else being the roleplaying equivalent of rubbing sticks together to make fire.

      For example, there was a discussion of Dogs in the Vineyard in which the referee is encouraged to make asides to the players, eg: '"There's been no trouble around here," says the steward. He's lying.' Some players -- reasonably enough, I would think -- asked how they know he's lying. 'Because I'm telling you he is,' insisted the referee. To me that's the mark of a Thatched game, the referee telling me what my character thinks; to the meta-players it's delightfully fourth-wall-breaking. I recognize both styles exist and am only interested in the former.

      (By the way I'm quite interested in the setting of DitV as it has players taking the role of teen religious fanatics with the authority to dispense instant justice. That sounds like it could be the interesting version of Mega-City Judges. But I'd run it without the tell-not-show asides, obviously.)

      Delete
    2. I think you're quite right. It's galling to have people picking your game apart because it's not meta, and they assume that you're too old and stupid to know 'better,' but if the copyright receipt office had actually kept hold of my zine there would be documentary evidence that meta was an approach as far back as the Cretaceous (the late 80s), and I can remember meta stuff being discussed even earlier in A&E. And bloody hell, how old is Paranoia? Not to mention the fact that I even have a highly meta commercial RPG (Time Lord) dedicated to me.
      As you suggest, meta is an approach; it has a point; it can be fun. But this doesn't make it the be-all and end-all of role-playing. Or literature, come to that.

      Delete
    3. It's amusing too that in that example from DitV, the referee is acting as an omniscient narrator, which is a hoary old literary device not much used these days. And the notion that the characters are participants in the story but the players are readers/viewers -- yes, I get why that's intellectually interesting, but having noted it I choose to pass on it. I prefer to roleplay the way Eddie Marsan describes improv acting: "creating a subconscious and letting it spontaneously express itself -- a collaborative art form, like being a session musician."

      Delete
  4. What's the original source for that origami image? It's haunting my dreams slightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another win for AI, I call that. It's by NightCafe Creator and I think the prompt was very simple, something like "origami Dungeons & Dragons".

      Delete