Gamebook store

Friday 16 February 2024

A world where you can make a difference


The Vulcanverse gamebooks don't get nearly enough reviews. I would say that, wouldn't I? But Jamie and I genuinely feel they're some of our best work. We're aware that the gamebook resurgence, such as it is, is mainly driven by adults buying the books they enjoyed as kids. Naturally that makes it hard for a new series to break through, but there are standout successes: Steam Highwayman, Legendary Kingdoms, Expeditionary Company, and others. 

Our hope is that with the completion of the saga (Workshop of the Gods is due to be published in a few months) readers will get to appreciate the full story arc that's been building across the series. The entire adventure is over 6000 sections long, that's more than 15 old-style Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, and there are decisions you make right from the start that have repercussions in the apocalyptic showdown at the end.

Yes, I know, I could do with a better microphone. Still, if that all whets your appetite, you can get started by downloading Adventure Sheet PDFs for the Vulcanverse series here:

4 comments:

  1. Vulcanverse is such a massive creative and technical accomplishment. It's awesome, in the purest sense of the word.

    Thanks for the reminder to leave a review and can't wait for the final book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josh. I'm deep into editing, so not too long now!

      Delete
  2. The hammer of the sun is, in my view, one of your best gamebooks. The atmosphere is unique, the writing is amazing and the gameplay is infuriating but fascinating. I am really looking for the final instalment of the series. Re your point, I somehow feel they are quite difficult to find online and the linkage to the videogame series may be confusing for some. I think there is a need for some optimization in the blurbs etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Signore. You make some good points. Some readers found that being left to explore the world and discover quests, as you are in Hammer of the Sun, didn't give them enough of a steer. Mindful of that, I've included some NPCs in Workshop of the Gods who will guide players through quests in the other books, not to the extent of giving spoilers but just enough in the way of hints to help keep the player on track.

      I agree that the connection with the videogame series is confusing. I've never played the videogame myself so any connection is pretty tenuous, but it may have deterred players who think you need to know about one to play the other. I'll work on the blurb for this last book to make it clearer that they are two independent games.

      Delete