Gamebook store

Friday 5 July 2024

The pivot of destiny

I came across this 120-player game of D&D on LinkedIn. Unfortunately the post was whisked away from me before I could note the name of the valorous GM, so apologies for not crediting him here. It reminded me of when my friends Nick Henfrey (co-founder of Flat Earths) and Steve Foster (creator of Mortal Combat) and I turned up at our university D&D society just after Freshers' Week. Dozens of new members had signed up, so we found ourselves crammed into a tiny room (five metres square at the most) with a couple of dozen eager first-timers.

"You can't run a game for a party this size," I pointed out to the GM as we all put down figurines in the traditional ten-foot-wide corridor.

"Course we can," he insisted, announcing that the two people at the front could just make out an ochre jelly or whatever it was.

We played on for half an hour, with most people there watching in bafflement as the experienced players leading the party rolled lots and lots of dice. It didn't look like many of these newbies would be coming back next weekend. Nick whispered in my ear. "Let's liven things up."

We were in the middle of the party, so we started blasting spells and swinging swords in both directions, slaughtering folks on both sides until the experienced D&D players waded back and killed us. Outside in the corridor, one of the first-year players whose characters we'd killed asked, "So what are we going to do now?" I didn't know then, but he was Mark Smith.

I opened the next door. It was another meeting room even smaller than the first, maybe four metres square this one, but it was empty. "Have you ever heard of Empire of the Petal Throne?" I said. And that's where we started a game with the core of a group who went on campaigning together for a long time to come -- decades in some cases. There were several who went on to careers far removed from games (and hi there, Les, Sheldon and Pauline, if you happen to see this) but most notable among them was Mike Polling (yes, the author of "The Key of Tirandor") a friend and creative mentor with whom I did much of my early writing. Mike and Mark had been at school with Jamie Thomson, and Mike soon introduced me to Oliver Johnson -- and so, directly or otherwise, that Sunday afternoon connected me to most of the RPG writers I'd be working with over the next forty-five years.

Maybe life is full of those "Turn Left" moments. I met my wife because of another, but although that's obviously of paramount importance to me personally there's no gaming dimension so I won't recount the story here. What about you? Are there people or games that have changed your whole life which would have gone entirely unnoticed if you'd made just one different choice?

8 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Morris, In 1985 I came across the first three of your Dragon Warrior books in a bookstore called the Book Worm, in Sandton City, in Johannesburg. I thought it was so strange that they were in digest sized paperback form - and were so different from AD&D hardbacks or box sets like Star Frontiers. However, I started reading them in the bookstore and fell in love! I purchased them there and then and have never looked back. Later on in life, I tracked down the others. My world of gaming was forever changed. To this day, I would say that your series of books, including Blood Sword, were the most influential role-playing games in my life. If I had passed them over in the bookstore, my interest in role-playing games would be much diminished. So thank you very much, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stan. Hearing something like that and realizing that I have managed to touch people's lives, even if just in a small way, is the best reward a writer could hope for.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about it now but it is almost forty years ago that I came across your works! All four of my adult sons enjoy role-playing games - so that is another generation that you have influenced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to feel like one of the Founding Fathers! Somebody told me recently that his son and friends (around 11-12 years old) had got fed up with the anything-goes fantasy of D&D and had decided to try Dragon Warriors instead. I never expected when I wrote those scenarios that they would be enjoyed by players well into the 21st century.

      Delete
  3. In 2003, my long time gaming group that had survived us all going to university, abruptly scattered to the four winds for work and marriage. I thought that was the end of my roleplaying career, to the point of letting my parents throw out all my RPG books a few years later when they were clearing out my old room.

    In 2017, I was out on a church walk, when I got chatting to a chap who had just joined, talking medieval history. He mentioned that he was keen on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and was a bit surprised when I mentioned that I used to play it in the 80s. Anyway, we soon started a one-on-one campaign of the Enemy Within, which is still going seven years later!

    That led to another moment that reshaped my RPG life. In late 2019, my daughter was curious about this roleplaying game I played in, and wanted to give it a try. WFRP wasn't a great choice for a ten year old, so I duly bought the D&D Essentials Kit, and we started playing. It only lasted about six months: by the time we cleared lockdown, she wanted to DM for me, and then wanted to play with her friends rather than her old dad. Still, during that time, a chance remark by my daughter would kick off a renaissance in my RPG gaming.

    In February 2020, we were down at our local board games club, and got playing Fireball Island with a couple of chaps we had never gamed with beore. One mentioned offhand at some point that there had been a D&D module of the game, at which point my daughter declared "Oh, we play D&D!".

    Conversation turned to roleplaying games, and a few weeks later he loaned me his copy of Blades in the Dark. Then lockdown hit, and I couldn't get it back to him, so I suggested that we try a game online using Discord. Four and a bit years later, our group has grown to five regulars and three irregulars, and is still gaming online every week, with quarterly in-person game days.

    More than that, once we had got Discord working, I mooted to my old gaming group (that disbanded in 2003) that we give it a go, and four years later we're still playing fortnightly. Granted, we get about 60 minutes of actual gaming done in a session, so it's a slow burn, but it works well for us.

    All that from a chance comment at a board games club about D&D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are a lot of campaigns that got restarted over lockdown, Ray, when everyone realized that distance was no obstacle. Jamie and I went in the other direction; after a few great campaigns, we independently decided that we only really like roleplaying when it's around a table in person, and now that nobody else wants to travel long distances every fortnight that means I've pretty much given up roleplaying apart from an excellent game in Oxford -- but that only happens four or five times a year, *sigh*.

      Delete
  4. Mr Morris, I think I also need to mention Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf as well. These too were highly influential. I think that those of us from the old colonies (South Africa, Australia and New Zealand) were introduced to role-playing because of these game books. Almost everyone I have met met in the role-playing hobby has said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good point, Stan. I'd played solo adventures before Fighting Fantasy (eg Metagaming's Death Test booklets, and when Warlock of Firetop Mountain came out three or four years later I remember being surprised that you couldn't backtrack on your path through the adventure. But although FF was more simplistic than the US books, the big difference was that they were on sale in bookshops rather than hobby games shops. I immediately thought that if solo gamebooks could be sold in bookshops then RPGs could be too -- and for far less money than D&D cost in those days. And so the idea for Dragon Warriors was born, and I have Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson (and their editor, Philippa Dickinson, who later on became DW's editor) to thank for that.

      Delete