Gamebook store

Friday 19 July 2024

Here come the machines

Now this is interesting. The Last Screenwriter is a movie made from a script written by ChatGPT-4. I'd like to tell you more, but knee-jerk hysteria (or so we're told) meant that the planned screening in London was cancelled. Too bad, as the filmmakers explain on their website that it was made as a non-profit experiment.

I'm curious about the use of generative AI in writing, art, and other fields. I suspect it won't lead to mass unemployment but instead will be a useful tool that creatives will collaborate with to improve their work -- much as desktop publishing has led to an explosion in the number of books. Hmm, given the quality of books these days maybe that's not such a great example.

Some people gripe (well, scream) that AI is stealing from existing authors and artists. Mostly that's a misunderstanding of how the models are trained. Yes, they look at millions of images to learn the way a picture is put together. Contrary to the belief of the pitchfork-bearers heading up to the baron's castle, the generative AI models don't record each individual image and reproduce it. It's more like how human artists and writers learn their craft.

For example, when I was a kid I'd often notice that my favourite comic book artists were having their panels "borrowed" by less well-known artists. The character poses you'd see in British comics in the early '70s (strips such as The Steel Claw in Valiant) had appeared in US comic books a few months earlier. But even among those Marvel & DC artists there was cross-pollination. Barry Windsor Smith famously started out drawing Jack Kirby pastiches and later went Pre-Raphaelite. Dan Adkins was famous for lifting poses from other artists. Writers too: H.P. Lovecraft began by imitating the style of Lord Dunsany. Dunsany was influenced by the King James Bible. Robert Bloch started out copying Lovecraft, and so the cycle continued. 

In the comics I made at school I emulated the art styles of Bernie Wrightson and Barry Windsor Smith; when I wrote my early stories I was following patterns picked up from Robert E Howard, Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, August Derleth, and others. This is how we've always learned -- and it's a much more targeted kind of swiping than the generative AI is doing. The AIs don't play favourites, which is why (now that you can no longer specify "in the style of" in the prompts) their art output tends to look like the soulless photorealistic fantasy paintings you see on DeviantArt.

I've talked before about using AI for artwork in gamebooks and RPGs. It's a good fallback for game designers who have no art budget. The snag is, people lose their shit when you so much as mention it. I've hired human artists whenever possible -- most recently Inigo Hartas for my Jewelspider roleplaying game. Of course you get a better result that way, but most independently published books don't even make enough to pay the author's phone bill. The option is often either AI art or no art -- or else public domain art like the William Harvey illustrations I used in the new print edition of Once Upon A Time In Arabia. Nobody was happy with those. (You can get a copy with Russ Nicholson's artwork on DriveThruRPG.)

In any case, I'd like to see The Last Screenwriter because this is the future and we may as well start getting to grips with it. Smashing the looms never works.

15 comments:

  1. I'll just leave this right here: https://screenrant.com/hayao-miyazaki-ai-art-reaction-video-studio-ghibli/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miyazaki's position is rather different from the RPG designer who might sell fifty copies of their game at best. And he's 83, so he probably thinks a new design of washing machine is an insult to life.

      Delete
  2. Well, that's just typical, David. The one new film I was looking forward to watching and they've gone and cancelled it. I don't know what all the fuss is about personally. If the film was rubbish as was most likely, screenwriters would have been worrying needlessly and it would have validated one of their points. If it was good, perhaps it might have made them up their game. Hopefully it won't impact on my own masterpiece 'Return of the Clones Strikes Back Menace' from being produced anyway. If would have been interesting to see whether 'The Last Screenwriter' avoided one of those cliched endings we always seem to get at least. Yours Sincerely. AI Bot 2025.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether it's AI writers or the human sort, Andy, we seem destined to get more sequels, reboots and clichés. Just yesterday I came across this Apple TV series and instantly guessed the big plot twist -- as will all the viewers, I bet. Would AI do any better? Probably not, as the studios and networks have been promoting same-old-same-old for years anyway.

      Delete
    2. I've just watched 'The Last Screenwriter', Dave. ChatGPT-4 can't write for toffee/worth s***. Or not yet at least. I was bored stiff. Humour seems to be completely missing. Perhaps they should have added something along those lines to the initial brief. Oh, and character. And... hang on, this is just the old 'Stone Soup' folk story!

      Delete
    3. I'm still going to have to see it, Andy, but my expectations (already low) are now on the floor. I did ask ChatGPT to write a humorous article the other day, just as an experiment, and when I showed it to my wife she smiled a couple of times. So no actual LOLs, but no worse than a BBC sitcom.

      For a movie about AI but written by people, I've been hearing some good things about The Beast.

      Delete
    4. I gave 'The Beast' a whirl last night, Dave. Not bad. The filmmakers should have used AI to make the film 50 minutes shorter though.

      Delete
    5. I must admit, Andy, it's the 145 minute running time that's put me off sitting down to watch it so far.

      Delete
  3. Well, it seems that the AI has decided to follow the rule of writing what you know. It's doing that almost to the extent that a child (or Gene Roddenbury writing a screenplay about The Nine) would do. From the trailer, it seems like a pretty predictable black mirror esque episode. I don't expect that it would be able to make deep connections with the viewer or capture the zeitgeist and become a phenomenon. I think the reason that some films and books become so popular is that they address an issue that many people have before they even know that they have it and that gives them the means to express it. I don't think an AI could do that outside of brute force mass production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, four years ago people couldn't imagine that AI would be capable of carrying on a decent conversation, efficiently summarizing academic papers or Wikipedia pages, and formulating effective plans for tackling a project. Now that it can we're all going, "Pft, it's not Shakespeare or Einstein." So let's see where we are in another four years.

      Delete
    2. That is true. If we take the AI created art to a logical extreme, we could end up with an AI that can use your internet history to create the perfect films and books for you and maybe the perfect companion chatbot. The AI apocalypse won't require terminator robots - it would happen because people never leave their AI generated paradise.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure there's a Ray Bradbury story about that. I'm more interested in the kind of art AGI will make, if and when we get AGI, but there's no reason why that should make any sense to humans.

      Delete
    4. Lol, we're going to emit tons of greenhouse gases and spend exorbitant amounts of money, water, man hours and other resources to create an AGI, that, when asked to create the greatest work of art ever, it will create an incomprehensible scribble.

      Delete
    5. We don't actually know what form AGI will take, though I think avoiding computational brute force is one of the required breakthroughs that Demis Hassabis recently referred to. I'd be interested in brain organoid research as much as in modelling neural nets the hard way on a computer. There's also the use of curated data sets (eg Mistral) to reduce the computing power needed, but we're still talking about modelling a brain connectome in software where what we actually need is a new species of hardware.

      Delete
  4. I just watched The Last Screenwriter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5U95K8YUkk&t=1s) and Andy is right, it is fairly boring. But I was thinking how if I was told a 9-year-old had written it I'd be impressed and predicting a stellar future for him/her. I could easily see ChatGPT in a few years writing movies like John Wick 7 or churning out episodes of Amazon TV shows.

    ReplyDelete