Gamebook store

Monday 5 November 2012

A tale told by a troubadour

Now, don't fret that I'm going to start trying to flog you something every week. I know that last time it was Megara's Kickstarter project, following on from my Frankenstein gamebook app and before that the Binscombe Tales, but it was Halloween(ish) - and I only mentioned the last of those because I sincerely believe it's a work of genius and I want everybody who likes weird fiction to get to hear about it.

Today's book isn't spooky at all. It's a rollicking adventure story by Jamie, packed with his trademark humour and (of course) all told in a deftly engaging and understated authorial voice that makes the brothers Grimm come across like strident fairground barkers.

This one has been out on Kindle for a while, but I've gradually come to accept that Fabled Lands fans may not have embraced the digital age with quite the same enthusiasm as the mass of the reading populace. An outrageous generalization, I know, but in case it applies to you, take heart; for here is the paperback version of Jamie's Harkuna-set novella The Lost Prince.

The review on Amazon expresses exactly what I like about this book:
"As you read you can almost see an accomplished troubadour stalking around a hushed tavern as he spins and embroiders his tale... The type of book that would grab and carry any reader, involve him or her, and wrap up with a flourish."
If you know somebody of around 8-12 years who's into fantasy, this would be a perfect gift. Just saying. (I'm English, so hard sell just isn't in my blood.)

Okay, next time I'm not even going to mention any of our current projects, I promise.


 +++STOP PRESS+++
 I just got back from a week in Cornwall to hear the news. Jamie's book Dark Lord: The Teenage Years won the Roald Dahl Prize. (I would have known a bit sooner if I'd thought to take my phone along.) It's the culmination of a lot of hard work by Jamie, and as the first of our new cross-media properties from the Spark Furnace, a great vindication of the business plan and creative direction we took a few years back. The judges' decision was unanimous, and they ought to know what they're talking about, so while you're picking up a copy of The Lost Prince, I advise taking a look at Dark Lord too.

No comments:

Post a Comment