Gamebook store

Thursday 1 September 2022

Reversal of meaning


Fighting Fantazine issue 17 is now out. It's great, the artwork is fabulous, there are some epic gamebook adventures to play through, in-depth reviews, and it's free to download. What more do you want?

If you answered, "An interview with Dave Morris" then you're in luck, they've got that too. But I will just draw your attention to an erratum. Asked about my Jewelspider RPG, the reply printed is:

"I think Jewelspider will appeal to simulationists who have yet to see something to admire in Powered by the Apocalypse..."

But wait. What what I actually said was:

"Jewelspider will appeal to simulationists who yet see something to admire in Powered by the Apocalypse’s streamlined let’s-get-on-with-the-story approach."

Quite a difference! I do admire PbtA, you see, despite being a simulationist. My reason for favouring simulationism is not because I'm a wargames nerd but because I want rules that procedurally create a story without authorial steering. So on the spectrum of roleplaying, I'm probably nearer to the PbtA end than the GURPS end. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say I'm in a superposition of states; I like both.

Anyway, I just wanted to set that straight in case anyone bothered to read that far into the interview and thought I was some daft old fogey dissing the new(ish) trends in roleplaying.

The artwork above is by the very talented Johan Tieldow, incidentally. I hope if I ever write another gamebook that I can get him to do some of the illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment