Gamebook store

Friday 19 May 2023

Elves as cosplay

“My name is Eildonas of Hulda Hoo,” I tell him as we walk. 

“I take you to be one of the Grey Elves,” he says with a sidelong glance, provoking in me a short laugh, since such categories have meaning only to mortals.

I recently quoted that (a line from the elf’s story in Heroquest book one, The Fellowship of Four) when somebody was telling me about their game: "The other players assume my character's an imp, which is funny because actually I'm playing a sprite."

It’s the sort of distinction that probably makes sense in a D&D campaign, where the Monster Manual is treated as a diegetic text. (“It’s a ghoul.” “No it’s not; it’s a shade. Ghouls have red fingernails and regenerate.” Something like that, anyway.) It would make no sense in Legend, the setting of the Dragon Warriors and Jewelspider RPGs, where the peasant warning you about that damned thing out on the moors might call it an imp, pixie, sprite, goblin, redcap or elf all in the same breath.

Another gamer I know, after reading the blog post in which I elaborate on that theme, singled out this line:

“The point is: you don’t need player-character elves or dwarves.”

He asked the other players in his campaign:

“What's your take on the tendency to play 'furries'? I include the Dragonborn (half man, half dragon playable creatures in D&D) and the Tieflings (humans tainted by demonic heritage in D&D) in this. I think it's the same impulse. It's a very millennial thing, perhaps? How does everyone feel about playing nonhumans? Does it appeal? What's the appeal? Does it repel? Could there be a race that would be enticing to play? What would that be like?”

By the way, the faerie folk in Legend never say “human” or “nonhuman”. It’s a bit too Desmond Morris, that. They say “mortal”, stressing their own point of superiority but perhaps also betraying their envy of the part they don’t share, the immortal soul.

Naturally, like for anything else in roleplaying, everyone's mileage is different. For me, those elves and dwarves and trolls aren't “races” in the D&D sense. They are the very embodiment of the Other. So it makes no sense in a Legend game to have player-character elves or whatever. Elves don't have souls, nor goals that we could ever relate to. There's nothing about them that's human except in the glamour that clothes them in a form we can perceive.

But lots of people like playing exotic aliens and races, and if that's the style of fantasy they enjoy then why not. I guess it's a kind of role-cosplaying. They do then get tied in terrible knots over issues like “Drow -- oh dear, are they racist?” Well, maybe, if you're interpreting them as another Homo racial line, ie a sort of mutant humankind. But if they are simply manifestations of how we conceive these debased and residual spirits called faerie folk, then no.

One of my gaming friends likened it to picking avatars in computer games. Avatars (and an avatar is clearly not the player; think Gordon Freeman or Geralt) must have influenced players’ choice of character types over the last few decades. I notice that players very often refer to their characters in third person these days, as though they were avatars that the player controlled rather than personas that they put on. Roleplaying has become the middle-aged man's version of playing with dolls. But as for those dolls being nonhuman, there were plenty of halfling thieves scampering about in D&D games back in the ‘70s, so maybe the trend was set by Tolkien rather than by World of Warcraft. 

I also discourage players in my Tekumel games from taking nonhumans, even though those are simply alien species and not mythical beings. The reason for that is they always end up bring played as stereotypes, extreme versions of human types. Then the game almost becomes an allegory with characters standing for Aggressiveness, Greed, Pedantry, etc. Now if a player could portray a truly alien mindset then I'd be intrigued to see them explore that, but it would have to be a lot more out there than the likes of Worf or Spock.

David Kajganikh, creator of The Terror, said he wanted to appeal to the viewers “who would watch the show if it didn’t have monsters”. That’s where my hand goes up. Unfortunately, Mr Kajganikh meant those who would watch whether or not it had monsters. For me, there’s a fascinating story of ambition, egotism, stupidity, bravery and resourcefulness in the Franklin expedition. It’s not only quite unnecessary to tart it up with Eskimo demons, it’s an insult.

Eliot believed that “anything that can be said as well in prose can be said better in prose.” He wasn’t against poetry (obviously), nor am I am against fantasy when I say that whatever can be done as well with human characters is better done using human characters. Legend is a low-fantasy world not because I want to sweep fantasy under the carpet, but because fantasy is a powder worth keeping dry. That way it counts for something when you do use it. High fantasy adventure is a different style, and in a long-running campaign it leads to diminishing returns; eventually even mainlining the pure stuff isn’t going to give you a kick.

But now I’m mixing metaphors, so perhaps it’s time to wrap up and hand over this over for discussion. Let's close with a typically thought-provoking line by Ursula K Le Guin:

“Fantasy is the language of the inner self.”

At its best, fantasy isn't taking us out of ourselves into dressing-up and escapism. It's taking us deep into our dreams where logic cannot go.

10 comments:

  1. I'm mostly with you, and think the multi-race thing may be a Gen Z/young millenial thing. I'm an older millenial and almost never play a non-human race. I'm just not that interested. There's enough variety within humanity to play any kind of character I care to imagine.

    Conversely, looking at D&D on reddit now, the character descriptions are almost universally non-human, and not even within the standard Tolkien legendarium anymore. Does not appeal to me, but the game is doing amazingly right now, so there must be a huge audience that appreciates that aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough if they enjoy it. I just wonder what a group like that can do to get any element of otherness into their games, but (as discussed in a recent post) the fantasy genre is often less fantastical than any other.

      Delete
  2. I disagree that it's a generational thing. My first gaming group started in 1981, playing basic D&D and sliding slowly into AD&D. The usual party composition was 4 elves, 1 dwarf, and a cleric. When we played Star Frontiers, we all played aliens. In Gamma World, all mutants. When I moved around the US, I found other people with similar experiences. My first human character was probably in Top Secret, so non-human wasn't an option -- but I did make him KGB.

    I think a lot of people just like to pick something as different as possible to their ordinary experience, and non-human characters make this easier, especially in games where all humans seem to have a mono-culture (e.g. most D&D games I've played in).

    As I've gotten older I've embraced human characters a lot more, but only when I think a given game will feel fantastic enough that I *want* to experience its wonders through a human lens. The problem is that very few games really manage this in the wild, so I default to non-human characters as a way to inject some strangeness for myself that I'm not going to get from the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that D&D was presumably trying to recreate the feel of Lord of the Rings right from the start, it makes sense that parties would be full of nonhuman characters. And since D&D rarely seems to achieve much of a sense of otherness (in the published material, I mean) t's not really going to hurt it if players take elves and dwarves and whatnot. As you say, the game first has to feel fantastic enough for it to be worth making elves something special.

      Delete
    2. I really liked Planescape and Dark Sun for the sense of being very different to the standard D&D setting. These days it feels like Forgotten Realms has more or less turned into Planescape, with every race from the multiverse seemingly present in the major cities and no one bats an eyelid.

      I suspect that's because (at least among the D&D players I know) there's a bit of resistance to having races that are available in the rules disqualified, and that list has steadily grown over the years.

      Also, Humans don't get as many interesting powers compared to the other races, which I think is a draw for some people. They're more interested in trying out different aspects of the rules than focussing on story content, which is fine as long as everyone in the game wants to go that way.

      It got a bit complicated when we had a campaign in a homebrew setting that was low magic (well, the campaign was about how magical creatures came into the world). I played a half elf, who for story purposes was a human with fae blood (his grandfather was reputed to be a changeling). One player wanted to be a tiefling, which the DM deemed fine, only that the character had to appear human (again, reputed to be descended from a witch or something), but the player insisted that his tiefling had horns. He later withdrew from the campaign when the DM wouldn't allow him to play a warforged. There was no bad blood - he just didn't want to play D&D if he couldn't play more exotic characters.

      Delete
    3. D&D is its own thing, I guess. It's not the kind of fantasy that appeals to me, but if somebody chooses D&D then they are probably into the whole garden of nonhuman delights. It's similar in Warcraft (same genre of fantasy, give or take) where lots of people want to play minotaurs. And after all, these days IRL almost everybody wants to claim some unique identity that means they don't have to accept the label of ordinary, so perhaps the multiple player races thing is just a reflection of that.

      Delete
  3. One thing I'll note is that the Hobbits, for all that they were "Nonhuman" were pretty much the normal people in the Fellowship. Look at everyone else:

    Gandalf: Wizard-Angel
    Legolas: Elven Prince/Noble
    Gimli: Dwarven Prince/Noble
    Boromir: Eldest son of the Steward of Gondor
    Strider/Aragorn: Descendent of Isildur and heir to the throne of Gondor.
    Frodo/Samwise/Merry/Pippin: A prosperous villager's (Bilbo's) nephew and his three farmboy buddies who get sucked into all this "Destroy the Ring" craziness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Tolkien put his human heroes right alongside elves and dwarves, but he was describing a mythic time. No doubt that's where Gygax and Arneson got the idea from, but the rot set in when they plonked it into a regular fantasy environment and then had to have 1st level elves, etc, which I don't think was Tolkien's notion at all.

      Delete
  4. I didn't think about it much in the 80s and early 90s, but since returning to gaming in 2017 I've given more thought about what it is about gaming that I am trying to achieve.

    What I think I'm trying to achieve is building a connexion to the folktales and myths of the past, many of which were related to places and points of interest the landscape. Fairies, goblins and wyrms are all part of that but like you said, they are better encountered as something unnatural and potentially hazardous.

    The only modern game that I've found does this so far is Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures. Essentially a BX derivative it stresses small village heroes and their scrapes with creatures and dark things of the forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond the Wall sounds right up my street and definitely shares a common heritage with Dragon Warriors (case in point, Oliver's scenario "Gallows Wood; or, A Goblin Grim" in DW book 3) but I don't know if the designers were influenced by DW or indeed were even aware of it.

      Delete