Gamebook store

Wednesday 17 May 2023

Fay day

A new issue of Casket of Fays is always cause for great gladness. Issue 9's highlights are too many to list but they include an interview with Lee Barklam of The Cobwebbed Forest. Lee is a man after my own heart, as this comment shows:

"Combat – and magic – is likely the last resort for embattled adventurers, and I place more emphasis on ensuring the lands in which the characters adventure feel genuinely strange, dangerous, and exciting."

That's exactly what I'm trying to do with the Jewelspider RPG, but Lee is way ahead of me with his homebrew rules. He also once played a sorcerer who didn't cast a single spell in the whole adventure, which is exactly as it should be.

The issue also contains new creatures, weapons, rules, a great piece on heraldry, an industrial-scale gibbet, a much-needed system for balanced character generation, and a Q&A with me that I'd entirely forgotten. (Luckily I still agree with myself on most points.)

Did I mention it's free? What are you waiting for?

As well as those in the Casket, there's another Fay celebrating today - the magician Fay Presto, whose birthday it is. I've only met her a couple of times; each time she was mingling with the guests at publishing parties and performing magic literally under our noses. Close-up magic like that I find much more impressive than the million-dollar illusions like making the Eiffel Tower disappear. (I even managed to make Salisbury Cathedral vanish myself once; big deal.) Her tricks are real wizardry and she's one of Britain's best-loved conjurers. So happy birthday, Fay.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,

    Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with blogs.

    Is there a way I could send you an email or a direct message?

    I tried sending an email to info@fabledlands.net, but I received an error message, saying that the email couldn't be reached.

    I appreciate your support, as I have some intriguing news to share.

    Have a wonderful evening.
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin

      That's just a glitch with the email address. I don't know why, it always sends a message saying it's full but Jamie & I do get the emails. I saw yours and I'd be delighted (and very flattered) to look at your Blood Sword prequel gamebook. Do please send it, and ignore the message saying that it didn't get through!

      best regards. Dave

      Delete
  2. Dear Dave,

    Thank you for your kind reply and for your interest.

    I will complete the translation in a few days and get back to you via email as soon as possible.

    Thank you again for your time and have a wonderful rest of the week.

    Kind regards,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin --

      Great news. Please do send a copy by email (it looks like it bounces back but usually we do get those messages). I can't promise you to read it right away, as like you I have more than two jobs, but I am looking forward to seeing it.

      How did you fare in the competition?

      regards
      Dave

      Delete
    2. Hello Dave,

      I will send it right away! Thanks again for your time and interest.

      Unfortunately, I didn't made it to the top three. I believe it was because I learned about the competition too late and I had to complete the whole book in less than a week.

      However, after the deadline I had all the time in the world to make it better. And better it became. I really hope you like it!

      Regards,
      Martin

      Delete
    3. I have it! Thanks, Martin.

      I've only had time to look at the rules section so far. I REALLY like the skills -- great idea.

      It will be a week or two before I can settle down to read it, but when I do I'll be sure to leave a comment here.

      Delete
    4. Wonderful! Thank you for your feedback. I will be eagerly awaiting your reply.

      Have a wonderful week,
      Martin

      Delete
  3. Dear Dave,

    I hope you are doing well.

    I don't mean to bother, just wanted to ask if you've had the spare time to give the book I sent you a look.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Regards,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin -- not yet, I'm afraid. I'm completely swamped with work. But as soon as I can finish the 5th Vulcanverse book I should have a little more spare time.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply, Dave. I understand your situation and I wish you smooth sailing with your endeavours and hope to hear from you again soon.

      Delete