Gamebook store

Tuesday 26 March 2024

Passion projects

Here are Laurent and Patrick of Alkonost Editions talking about the thriving world of gamebooks and roleplaying in France. My publishers back in the 1980s and 1990s were fine supportive folk, but series like Dragon Warriors and Blood Sword were just part of the conveyor belt of books they were producing at the time. I could never have dreamed back then of working with publishers who are fired up with such enthusiasm for the medium. Inspired by them, I came back from Cannes with renewed energy to complete the Vulcanverse saga.

The only downside is that each time I hear about the two forthcoming books that Alkonost will be publishing for Les Terres de Légende, the more I lament my abysmal grasp of French. They sound to be full of exciting new rules concepts and adventures. Will there ever be English editions? We anglophones can but hope.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats ! (I hope the automatic subtitles in French can help a little, though they automatically mess up persons' names and English words). I haven't the time of watching everything, but they explain, among many other things, how innovative "Fabled Lands" was, with its code words and its little squares. The fun for me that, completely by coincidence, I had watched a few weeks ago a Youtube video about the "Against the Darkmaster" rpg, and the man in the video is the same sitting right here in the middle....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oap6Glnc__A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't catch his name but I assume he's a prominent gaming journalist/broadcaster? I find the auto-translate a real boon -- and in a year or two it should be even better and with optional lip-sync. Maybe...

      Delete