Gamebook store

Friday 15 March 2024

Blood Sword to Dragon Warriors - part 3

The third of Oliver Whawell's meticulous conversions of stats from the Blood Sword gamebooks to the Dragon Warriors RPG covers The Demon's Claw. You can get a PDF of the stat blocks here.

This is the book where the series starts to kick up into really epic gear, seeing you face off against one of the series' best guest villains, have a return match with your arch-foe Icon (that is, Aiken, Lord of the Mountain of Songs), experience a close shave with Psyche (Saiki, his sister), and get a close encounter with the gods (allegedly) themselves.

If none of that makes any sense, and if you're interested in turning the Blood Sword gamebook saga into a roleplaying campaign - now's your chance. I'll just caution that the Legend of the gamebooks is considerably higher fantasy than the Legend of Dragon Warriors, never mind the "real" Legend of Jewelspider. But that's just my view anyway. All versions are equally valid.

7 comments:

  1. hi Dave,
    I have been silently lurking in the corners of this blog for a while but couldn't resist posting a comment on this post.

    Talking about "turning the Blood Sword gamebook saga into a roleplaying campaign", that's what we did years ago. :) We were already playing Dragon Warriors, and after reading the first few Blood Sword books, I decided to adapt scenarios and rules for my party of players.

    Hence I made 'Battlepits of Krarth' and 'Kingdom of Wyrd' into a campaign in DW and gamemastered that with my party, and converted the Trickster and Enchanter profession into DW rules. It was lots of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came out of the shadows to tell us about your adventures in the lands of Legend, Felgor. I only have one question: why stop with book 2?

      The (hopefully) forthcoming Blood Sword 5e book from Tambù will tie up the saga with a finale in the walls of Spyte previously only seen by my Patreon backers.

      Delete
  2. Dear Mr Morris, will you ever consider releasing your notes for the Invaders & Ancients campaign setting (or, as a source book available for purchase)? I have always wondered about what happened to the content planned for books 7 - 12. Thank you very much. Yours faithfully, Stanley Barnes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stanley -- I was slowly working my way through all the notes Oliver & I made for converting our Questworld material for DW. The most complete conversion was for Robert Dale's Brymstone campaign, which we've shown glimpses of on the blog. For a while Serpent King Games were planning to release it as a book, but I've heard nothing for over a year so I think that's unlikely to happen now. I'll ask Robert if he'd be OK with the remaining campaign material appearing here.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mr Morris, another thing that I would like to ask is whether anything has ever come of your old Tetsubo project. I have always been really interested in viewing the complete manuscript. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stanley, I'm glad you asked about that. Jamie and I have had a few companies interested in publishing it over the years (as recounted here on the blog) but they always wanted Tetsubo to recreate samurai movies rather than medieval Japanese society. I've so far done about 90% of the work of converting it to Paul Mason's Outlaws RPG system and to Dragon Warriors stats, and I hope to get it finished later this year so that we can publish it.

      Delete
    2. Wow! That is amazing to hear. I cannot wait, Mr Morris. Thank you so much for this great news.

      Delete