A grab-bag of news today. First there's my interview with Riccardo Scaringi above, in which we talk about Vulcanverse, Lovecraft, Buffy, Rifkin's Festival, The Seventh Seal, Captain America: Civil War, robotics, post-scarcity, the simulation hypothesis, Whispers Beyond the Stars, and a few other matters.
(The "OK, boomer" moment: at 6m59s I say that Alex Dragan, the protagonist, could be male or female. What I should have said is they can be any gender. Consider me corrected.)
Other news: James Desborough's Stray Crows is currently on Kickstarter. This is a roleplaying game set in the Japan of the Sengoku and early Edo periods. Unlike most Japan-set RPGs, it isn't populated with 21st century Westerners cosplaying at being ronin and ninja. Mr Desborough believes in striving for authenticity, as do I. We may not be able to fully recreate the mindset of a 16th century samurai, but we can surely do better than James Clavell and Justin Marks, at least. Back Stray Crows now if you care at all about real roleplaying. I also think it's the most elegant and dramatic set of rules designed yet for such a setting, and the proof of that is in this sample combat.
One of my favourite podcasts is Fantastic Fights. Hieronymous (sic) J Doom's reviews of gamebooks are excellent and his insights into gamebook design are useful even to a forty-year veteran of the field like me. Mr (or maybe Doctor?) Doom mostly covers Fighting Fantasy books, which I'll confess aren't my cup of tea, but this month he's taken a look at Mark Smith's Coils of Hate. That was one of the books in the Virtual Reality series, my own titles from which have been resurrected as Critical IF, but Mark's Coils of Hate and Green Blood are hard to find in print these days.
Coils is a particularly tricky one, so here are some tips on how to survive it. Listening to HJD's very smart analysis of the book's problems was a bit triggering for me. I did make a half-hearted effort to get it into vaguely playable shape, given that some of the handwritten pages just ended with lines like: "Various options here, turn to ?" I was at my desk at 7am every day for a fortnight to devote a couple of pre-breakfast hours to trying to make sense of it while also facing a deadline for a book of my own. The published version of Coils of Hate was an appalling mess even so, and I'd rather have been hired as official editor and been given a month to fix it properly, but the publisher wasn't paying anything for that and they refused to wait, hence the botched version that still makes me want to hide in a storm cellar every time it's mentioned. Here's an account of my very minimal involvement in the book and how I'd have advised Mark to restructure it if there'd been more time.
What I do think is that Coils has some of the best writing, best characterization, and best worldbuilding you'll see in any gamebook even to this day. And Mark had the courage to tackle a serious issue -- not just intolerance, but the way that hatred and tribalism are auto-immune diseases of society that eventually harm not just the scapegoated target group but everybody else, even the haters. It's a long, long way from the old man in the tavern who tells you to collect five items so you can beat the evil guy who wants to take over the world.
Now that we're talking about Coils, there's something I ought to clear up. I sometimes get credited with being Mark's co-author, so just to be clear: I had no hand in the writing. I didn't even rewrite any of the sections I was given in hand-written form; I just typed them up and tried to figure out how to connect one to another when all I had to go on was "turn to ?" It's all Mark's work. The flashes of real genius are his. If only he'd written it as a novel instead of a gamebook! Luckily Stuart Lloyd has rescued the book, doing all the editing work I didn't have time for thirty years ago, and he has made his version available free on DriveThruRPG. Without him, Coils of Hate would probably have been forgotten. Stuart, you are a star.
In other news, the chapbook series from Fabled Lands Publishing now has over a dozen titles, as illustrated above, so if you suffer from the collecting bug those might be worth a look, either on Amazon or DriveThruRPG.
Lastly, a new Casket of Fays is always a treat, and the latest issue features the usual fine selection of articles including an in-depth look at Gully's Inn by Shaun Hately. It's a useful location for any medieval fantasy setting, whether or not you use the Dragon Warriors or Jewelspider rules. There's even a map. What are you waiting for?

Does Mark Smith plan to reissue his Virtual Reality books for Critical IF?
ReplyDeleteMark hasn't said anything to me about it, and both books would need some extensive editing, but I'd love to include them in the Critical IF series if he were willing.
DeleteOk, and do I have this right about the rest of the Golden Dragon interiors?
Delete1. Crypt of the vampire, The temple of flame have their original art
2. The lord of shadow keep art is replaced by public domain art
3. Curse of the pharaoh, Castle of lost souls art are all removed
4. Can you escape the vampire's lair is the same art as Crypt but in full color
That's right, except that the FL Quest version of Castle of Lost Souls (co-written by Paul Gresty) has the original Leo Hartas artwork.
DeleteThanks, and is Can you escape the vampire's lair a completely rewritten story, or is it similar to Crypt of the vampire just with more sections?
DeleteI wasn't sure how to answer that so I gave both books to Claude and asked him:
Delete"Neither, quite — the answer sits between the two. The Vampire's Lair isn't a fresh story. It runs on the same map and the same sequence of set pieces as Crypt of the Vampire: the ivy-choked wall and the iron gatekeeper in the latticework, the fevered soldier in the garden, the coin-strewn pond, the hall with its stairs and back passage, the library and the chair that turns out to be made of bones, the witch and her crow and the silver candlesticks, the chimney climb, the smoke-monster and the bellows, the witch shoved into her own cauldron, the three doors, the bat cavern, the crossroads, the copper and pewter doors, the chained hellhound, the drawing room where the Count invites you to sit, and the coffin chamber beyond it. The skeleton quartet, the entranced knight, the cheese earplugs and the golden flute are all there. So are the wight under the floorboards, the poisoned needle in the wall, Ganelon's tomb and the unicorn shield, the zombie pool, the archer in the painting, the Cossack, the chess-playing old man, and Brother Hark. Anyone who's played the 1984 book will recognise where they are within a few entries.
"But almost none of it is the same text. Only about one entry in twenty carries a run of a dozen words over verbatim; a handful of short linking entries are near-identical, and everything else has been rewritten sentence by sentence — shorter, faster, and in a much lighter, more talkative voice that jokes with the reader ('Bet you're all choked up about that'). The original's straight-faced prose is gone; there's an element of EC Comics in there now.
"The bigger change is underneath. The whole rules layer has been replaced. There are no dice anywhere in Lair — no VIGOUR, AGILITY or PSI, no combat rounds, no character sheet, no gold. What you keep instead is a list of items, a set of keywords, and a stock of lives you spend when you're killed, which turns every death entry into a branch point rather than a full stop. That single change ripples through the whole book, which is why Lair needs 354 entries to Crypt's 290 while being barely longer overall — the entries are shorter and the choices come more often. (The Alexa origin shows there.)
"And a fair amount is genuinely new. Roughly a hundred entries have no counterpart in the original: the Egyptian mummy and the ankh that buys you an extra life, the galvanic laboratory and its stitched-together creature, the hall of mirrors and the Count's bride, the old woman with the dumbwaiter that isn't a dumbwaiter and the room full of rolling heads, the ghouls beneath the chapel altar, the doctor's study, the noblewoman tied to the stake, the pocket watch that gets you out of trouble by moving you through time, the hair shirt, and the riddling pawn on the chessboard. Correspondingly, things have gone: the invisible Szgany, the table of cursed gems, the Möbius Ring, the Helm of Truth, the illusory windows, the mushrooms in the wood, the cobra idol and Frostfire. The vampire has been renamed too — Lord Tenebron is now Count Tenebrous — and the ending has changed.
"So: same house, same rooms, same monsters in mostly the same places, but rebuilt from the studs. A re-imagining of the original rather than either a straight expansion or a wholly new book."
Haha this info was helpful, thanks Dave & Claude!
DeleteI just saw Once upon a time in arabia hardback was released this year; will there be a paperback edition with Russ Nicholson's original interior art?
No plans for that at the moment, but if Claude keeps getting better then I could hand the whole book layout job over to him.
DeleteYou got me curious, Dave. I had to check out the translated titles, but all four Virtual Reality titles are available in French from Alkonost Editions. I just ordered them. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, you happen to be credited for Coils, for example here :
https://www.philibertnet.com/fr/destins/146678-destins-le-peuple-maudit-9791097577537.html
Glad you could find them, Dob. Strange that so many people seem to have ended up with the idea that I co-wrote Coils!
DeleteHi Dave, are you due to attend Fighting Fantasy Fest this year?
ReplyDeleteI’m going along for the first time & not entirely sure what to expect from it!
I imagine there'll be a lot of talk about Fighting Fantasy. As I only wrote half of one FF book I don't usually go along. Jamie sometimes does his "I am the Dark Lord" talk there, though, so he might be attending.
DeleteMakes sense.
ReplyDeleteI’m mostly going along to pick up my pledge of Steam Highwayman and see what non-FF stuff is around.
But will take along my copy of VulcanVerse for Jamie to sign.
I'll try and find out if he's definitely going, in that case. Watch this space...
DeleteI can't get any reply from Jamie (I think my emails go straight to spam) but his name is on the FFF guest list: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fighting-fantasy-fest-6-tickets-1985538518157
DeleteGreat. Thank you!
ReplyDelete