Gamebook store

Tuesday 12 September 2023

When countries go bonkers

It's been seven years since the United Kingdom narrowly voted to leave the European Union, of which it had been a leading member since 1973. This is usually nowadays referred to as Britain's Brexity McBrexitface moment.

What happened next? Those who subscribe to the idea that stories emerge as a series of dominoes falling in a cascade of events will have been interested and sometimes surprised - but not very surprised. It was obvious that Britain's ruling party would drift ever rightwards, colonizing the appeal-to-worst-natures territory staked out by the crackpot "UK Independence Party". Also obvious was that in trying to implement a bad idea with no plan, the Conservatives would suffer continual upheavals, internecine struggles, and desperate intrigues culminating in the blackly comical farce of a government led Boris Johnson followed by the utter madness of Liz Truss's ideological cloud-cuckoo land. As Laura Kuenssberg of the BBC puts it in an in-depth retrospective analysis:

"Her spectacular crash and burn was the logical end point, perhaps, of six years of chaos when the Conservatives so often turned in on themselves - and turned on each other."

Nobody likes a smart aleck, so I won't say told you so, but a lot of that crazed political backstabbing is right there in Can You Brexit (Without Breaking Britain)? There's also the opportunity to see if a better solution might have been found -- probably, indeed, the kind of solution Britain will now stagger towards over the next decade via a series of patches and ad hoc agreements that leave it only slightly worse off than if the whole sorry nonsense had never happened. 

Brexit didn't have to be bungled. It would have been perfectly legitimate to interpret the referendum result as an endorsement of the kind of "soft" Brexit that had been peddled to the electorate by Brexit advocates like Michael Gove, who during the referendum campaign proposed an EEA model such as Norway and Iceland enjoy that would have kept Britain in the Single Market. Instead the ERG cadre of self-proclaimed "Spartans" warped the ruling party, making dedication to their extreme version of Brexit a test of ideological purity. And that's why the party ended up in the hands of a succession of incompetents, malcontents, chancers, nutcases and idiots until finally lurching back towards its current attempt to look like grown-up government.

Given that other once-serious governments might shortly be jumping into the moronic inferno of populism, gamers from all around the world might want to take a look at this book to see if there are lessons to be learned. See if you can navigate the storms of political infighting to deliver a solution to Brexit that actually works in the interests of the people of Britain rather than the string of ex-Prime Ministers now collecting a few hundred grand each time they get up and give an after-dinner speech. It's possible, but it takes a more responsible hand on the rudder than any of the UK's leading politicians were willing to apply.

8 comments:

  1. I did say at the time that this would become a cult book, Dave. I think that comment will stand up. I will give it another read at some point. I'm apolitical, but the day Truss got in, I sent my mates a message saying the world had gone mad and that they would be best inclined putting their Mortgage on Labour winning the next general election at better than even money. They're currently 1 to 5. I'm gobsmacked they're not 1 to 50. I can only put it down to the populace likening Keir Starmer to Keir Dullea.

    I'd thought I'd leave my Mr Britling (I keep calling it Mr Britland for some reason) comments here instead of the previous post about it. I don't actually have much to add as you cover the salient points in your eloquent introduction. As with other comments, I also found it difficult to get into due to the prose and it took me some time to get through it as well. I enjoyed it though (if enjoy is the right word). Given the meeting taking place today, all very scary stuff. I don't know whether the cover was yours, but it's very distinctive. I like it.

    As an aside, I've realised HG Wells is missing completely from my list of authors I've read. I assume the better ones are the more famous ones, War of the Worlds and The Time Machine etc? I'll probably buy a set of them when I get my reading list down a bit. Indirectly I have HG Wells to part thank for getting me into the Sci-fi genre, as Jeff Wayne's Musical was played on loop at my mates house, probably around the same time as Give My Regards To Broad Street was playing in my dad's car. One of those two works still gets regular air play in my car at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Andy. It may have held up better than the book. These days I read Wells's satires and social comedies (Tono-Bungay is a particular favourite) more often than his SF.

      I see that Theresa May has been saying today that she had a much better plan for Brexit if only people had listened to her. I'm tempted to say she should have read Can You Brexit? but seeing as the main character was quite a bit like her (allegedly) she may not have found it a flattering portrait.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps there's an "If" game we can develop, Dave. I'll start with; If I were a swan, I'd be gone. Your move. David Brent parental sibling quotes disallowed.

      Delete
    3. One thing I can say, Andy, is that if I were a vegan I wouldn't have had the scrumptious sausages I cooked last night, and that would have been a tragic loss.

      Delete
  2. Dave - normally the proofing standards on your blog are exemplary, but I think something slipped with this post.
    When it reads ‘Britain's Brexity McBrexitface moment’ surely you meant to say:
    ‘the most radical act of class insubordination in English history since the New Model Army's advance on London and The Putney Debates in 1647.'?
    Happy to fix it for you. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And who's to say it can't be both, John? That comparison does put it into perspective, though. Last time we got the Interregnum; this time we got the governments of May, Johnson and Truss. And at least they didn't close the pubs and ban Christmas.

      (Just trying to picture Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson in the New Model Army, but I still have them pegged as Cavaliers. Dominic Cummings as Sexby, though -- I could see that.)

      Delete
  3. I kind of want a sequel. Brexit 2: Electric Superflu (Can you PM the Pandemic Without Catching COVID?) I did appreciate that you can "Win" the book in terms of getting the best ranks in all four metrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the main lesson of Can You Brexit was that the immediate aftermath was not primarily about negotiating Brexit, but about clinging to power in the confusion that ensued. It's generally what happens after any radical change in political direction -- the chaos is quickly exploited and the revolution hijacked. In the case of the Tory self-named "Spartans" (generally an unathletic bunch, it must be said) they hijacked it ineptly and achieved nothing beyond wasting six years when Britain should have been trying to reach an effective deal with the EU and handling a bunch of other crises including the pandemic and the collapsing NHS. That would, as you say, John, make for a good sequel, but I think I'll have to pass that to another writer. One Brexit gamebook was quite enough for me!

      Delete